"gitk --author=foo" shows also parent

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"gitk --author=foo" shows also parent

Nikolai Kosjar
Hi!

        $ gitk --author=foo

...seems to show also the parent of each author-matched commit, whereas

        $ git log --author=foo

does not. Is this intended or a bug? I've stumbled over this while
configuring a gitk view with the author field.

Nikolai





# Setup
~/work/gitkBug % git init .
~/work/gitkBug % touch file1 file2
~/work/gitkBug % git add file1
~/work/gitkBug % git commit "--author=MrFoo <foo@world>" file1 -m "add
file1"
~/work/gitkBug % git add file2
~/work/gitkBug % git commit "--author=MrBar <bar@world>" file2 -m "add
file2"

# TEST: git log --author - OK
~/work/gitkBug % git log --author=MrBar # OK, as expected
commit 8aa4a4f651162bcb2275a1e9ee23fc1bb7226097
Author: MrBar <bar@world>
Date:   Tue Apr 26 14:22:58 2016 +0200

     add file2

# TEST: gitk --author - OPS
~/work/gitkBug % gitk --author=MrBar  # Ops, gitk shows also the parent
commit


--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "gitk --author=foo" shows also parent

Michael Rappazzo
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Nikolai Kosjar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
>         $ gitk --author=foo
>
> ...seems to show also the parent of each author-matched commit, whereas
>
>         $ git log --author=foo
>
> does not. Is this intended or a bug? I've stumbled over this while
> configuring a gitk view with the author field.

I believe that this is intentional.  Notice that the parent commit's
circle is just outlined
compared to the selected authored commits are filled.  I consider this
the context
of the commits you are looking at.

>
> Nikolai
>
>
>
>
>
> # Setup
> ~/work/gitkBug % git init .
> ~/work/gitkBug % touch file1 file2
> ~/work/gitkBug % git add file1
> ~/work/gitkBug % git commit "--author=MrFoo <foo@world>" file1 -m "add
> file1"
> ~/work/gitkBug % git add file2
> ~/work/gitkBug % git commit "--author=MrBar <bar@world>" file2 -m "add
> file2"
>
> # TEST: git log --author - OK
> ~/work/gitkBug % git log --author=MrBar # OK, as expected
> commit 8aa4a4f651162bcb2275a1e9ee23fc1bb7226097
> Author: MrBar <bar@world>
> Date:   Tue Apr 26 14:22:58 2016 +0200
>
>     add file2
>
> # TEST: gitk --author - OPS
> ~/work/gitkBug % gitk --author=MrBar  # Ops, gitk shows also the parent
> commit
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
> the body of a message to [hidden email]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "gitk --author=foo" shows also parent

Nikolai Kosjar
On 04/26/2016 04:06 PM, Mike Rappazzo wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Nikolai Kosjar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>          $ gitk --author=foo
>>
>> ...seems to show also the parent of each author-matched commit, whereas
>>
>>          $ git log --author=foo
>>
>> does not. Is this intended or a bug? I've stumbled over this while
>> configuring a gitk view with the author field.
>
> I believe that this is intentional.  Notice that the parent commit's
> circle is just outlined
> compared to the selected authored commits are filled.  I consider this
> the context
> of the commits you are looking at.

Hmm, then I'm not interested in the context since it's too noisy. Is
there any way to suppress this?

Nikolai

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "gitk --author=foo" shows also parent

Jeff King
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 06:12:48PM +0200, Nikolai Kosjar wrote:

> >I believe that this is intentional.  Notice that the parent commit's
> >circle is just outlined
> >compared to the selected authored commits are filled.  I consider this
> >the context
> >of the commits you are looking at.
>
> Hmm, then I'm not interested in the context since it's too noisy. Is there
> any way to suppress this?

I am not a gitk user, but AFAIK, no. Gitk uses "--boundary" to ask git
for the bottom boundary of each string of commits. There is
unfortunately no "--no-boundary" option to override this (and I just
tried adding one, and it doesn't seem to work; gitk is perhaps too
aggressive in the way it passes along --boundary).

So I think it would require a patch to gitk.

-Peff
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html