material for git training sessions/presentations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

material for git training sessions/presentations

Chris Packham
Hi,

I know there are a few people on this list that do git training in
various forms. At $dayjob I've been asked to run a few training
sessions in house. The initial audience is SW developers so they are
fairly clued up on VCS concepts and most have some experience
(although some not positive) with git. Eventually this may also
include some QA folks who are writing/maintaining test suites who
might be less clued up on VCSes in general.

I know if I googled for git tutorials I'll find a bunch and I can
probably write a few myself but does anyone have any advice from
training sessions they've run about how best to present the subject
matter. Particularly to a fairly savy audience who may have developed
some bad habits. My plan was to try and have a few PCs/laptops handy
and try to make it a little interactive.

Also if anyone has any presentations I could use under a CC-BY-SA (or
other liberal license) as a basis for any material I produce that
would save me starting from scratch.

Thanks,
Chris
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: material for git training sessions/presentations

Scott Chacon
The GitHub training team has all of their materials open sourced under
a CC BY 3.0 license.  They're all written in Markdown and hosted on
GitHub.  You can check them out here, including going through an
online rendering of the materials:

http://training.github.com/kit/

Scott

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Chris Packham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know there are a few people on this list that do git training in
> various forms. At $dayjob I've been asked to run a few training
> sessions in house. The initial audience is SW developers so they are
> fairly clued up on VCS concepts and most have some experience
> (although some not positive) with git. Eventually this may also
> include some QA folks who are writing/maintaining test suites who
> might be less clued up on VCSes in general.
>
> I know if I googled for git tutorials I'll find a bunch and I can
> probably write a few myself but does anyone have any advice from
> training sessions they've run about how best to present the subject
> matter. Particularly to a fairly savy audience who may have developed
> some bad habits. My plan was to try and have a few PCs/laptops handy
> and try to make it a little interactive.
>
> Also if anyone has any presentations I could use under a CC-BY-SA (or
> other liberal license) as a basis for any material I produce that
> would save me starting from scratch.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
> the body of a message to [hidden email]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: material for git training sessions/presentations

Felipe Contreras
Scott Chacon wrote:
> The GitHub training team has all of their materials open sourced under
> a CC BY 3.0 license.  They're all written in Markdown and hosted on
> GitHub.  You can check them out here, including going through an
> online rendering of the materials:
>
> http://training.github.com/kit/

Very nice!

I'm skimming through the contents and I noticed you mention
'color.ui = auto' a lot. There's no need for that, it has been the
default since v1.8.4.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: material for git training sessions/presentations

Jason St. John
On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 12:53 AM, Felipe Contreras
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Scott Chacon wrote:
>> The GitHub training team has all of their materials open sourced under
>> a CC BY 3.0 license.  They're all written in Markdown and hosted on
>> GitHub.  You can check them out here, including going through an
>> online rendering of the materials:
>>
>> http://training.github.com/kit/
>
> Very nice!
>
> I'm skimming through the contents and I noticed you mention
> 'color.ui = auto' a lot. There's no need for that, it has been the
> default since v1.8.4.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Felipe Contreras

RHEL 6.5 ships Git version 1.7.1, so depending on what OS the audience
is using (e.g. RHEL 6.5 Workstation), that may still be relevant.

Jason
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: material for git training sessions/presentations

Jordan McCullough (GitHub Staff)
In reply to this post by Felipe Contreras
Hi Felipe,

Jordan McCullough here from the GitHub Training team. I noticed you were kind enough to open a Pull Request (linked below for reference) addressing this. We really do appreciate the contribution.

I'll review the PR just as soon as I can, so anticipate a merge with your changes to the `color.ui` soon.

https://github.com/github/training-kit/pull/118

Commit and Octocats,
Jordan
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: material for git training sessions/presentations

Sitaram Chamarty
In reply to this post by Chris Packham
On 05/05/2014 09:48 AM, Chris Packham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know there are a few people on this list that do git training in
> various forms. At $dayjob I've been asked to run a few training
> sessions in house. The initial audience is SW developers so they are
> fairly clued up on VCS concepts and most have some experience
> (although some not positive) with git. Eventually this may also
> include some QA folks who are writing/maintaining test suites who
> might be less clued up on VCSes in general.
>
> I know if I googled for git tutorials I'll find a bunch and I can
> probably write a few myself but does anyone have any advice from
> training sessions they've run about how best to present the subject
> matter. Particularly to a fairly savy audience who may have developed
> some bad habits. My plan was to try and have a few PCs/laptops handy
> and try to make it a little interactive.
>
> Also if anyone has any presentations I could use under a CC-BY-SA (or
> other liberal license) as a basis for any material I produce that
> would save me starting from scratch.

I've written and used the following; the first one is a bit more popular
(or at least has been mentioned several times on #git)

1. git concepts simplified: http://gitolite.com/gcs.html
2. a presentation on git: http://gitolite.com/git.html

You can use them straight off the web.

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html