git show doesn't respect config: diff.renames=copies

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

git show doesn't respect config: diff.renames=copies

Stephen R. van den Berg
What do I need to enter in /etc/gitconfig to get all commands that
deal with diffs of some kind to honour renames=copies ?
--
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.

If there's a hard way to do something, I'm there before anyone else.
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: git show doesn't respect config: diff.renames=copies

Jeff King
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 01:43:40PM +0200, Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:

> What do I need to enter in /etc/gitconfig to get all commands that
> deal with diffs of some kind to honour renames=copies ?

$ git grep -A3 diff.renames
config.txt:diff.renames::
config.txt-     Tells git to detect renames.  If set to any boolean value, it
config.txt-     will enable basic rename detection.  If set to "copies" or
config.txt-     "copy", it will detect copies, as well.

-Peff
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: git show doesn't respect config: diff.renames=copies

Björn Steinbrink
On 2008.08.06 10:06:03 -0400, Jeff King wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 01:43:40PM +0200, Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:
>
> > What do I need to enter in /etc/gitconfig to get all commands that
> > deal with diffs of some kind to honour renames=copies ?
>
> $ git grep -A3 diff.renames
> config.txt:diff.renames::
> config.txt-     Tells git to detect renames.  If set to any boolean value, it
> config.txt-     will enable basic rename detection.  If set to "copies" or
> config.txt-     "copy", it will detect copies, as well.

See subject line ;-)

Works for me though. Stephen, probably the source file didn't change in
the same commit. In such a case you need --find-copies-harder, and that
seems not to be configurable as the default.

Björn
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: git show doesn't respect config: diff.renames=copies

Jeff King
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 04:15:59PM +0200, Björn Steinbrink wrote:

> > $ git grep -A3 diff.renames
> > config.txt:diff.renames::
> > config.txt-     Tells git to detect renames.  If set to any boolean value, it
> > config.txt-     will enable basic rename detection.  If set to "copies" or
> > config.txt-     "copy", it will detect copies, as well.
>
> See subject line ;-)

Heh. Yes, oops. His question makes a lot more sense now. ;)

> Works for me though. Stephen, probably the source file didn't change in
> the same commit. In such a case you need --find-copies-harder, and that
> seems not to be configurable as the default.

I don't think it is configurable. Probably a "copiesharder" option for
diff.renames would be a sane addition.

-Peff
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html