On a personal note

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

On a personal note

Johannes Schindelin
Hey all,

yes, it is true: since mid-August I am working for Microsoft. Over a
year ago, I got into contact with the Visual Studio Online group at
Microsoft, of which I am now a happy member. A large part of my mission
is to improve the experience of Git for Windows. This is very exciting
to me: I finally can focus pretty much full time on something that I
could only address in my spare time previously.

Of course, Git for Windows will stay exactly the same project as before.
It will not suddenly turn into a Microsoft product. Obviously, it will
stay Open Source, its goal remains to bring the awesome Git SCM to
Windows, and I will continue to participate actively in the Git
community, if anything even more actively. After the release of Git for
Windows 2.5.0 and 2.5.1, there are quite a few loose ends to tie up; All
the better that I can now dedicate enough time to address them, and that
I now also have time to work properly with contributors on improving Git
for Windows.

I am really excited to join the club of Git developers who get paid to
work on Git as part of their day-jobs.

In short: for users and contributors of Git for Windows, nothing
changes. Except that Pull Requests and issues may be dealt with more
swiftly, and that I will actively work on keeping Git for Windows more
closely in sync with Git proper.

Good times!
Johannes
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On a personal note

Steve Hoelzer
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:00 AM, Johannes Schindelin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> yes, it is true: since mid-August I am working for Microsoft. Over a
> year ago, I got into contact with the Visual Studio Online group at
> Microsoft, of which I am now a happy member. A large part of my mission
> is to improve the experience of Git for Windows. This is very exciting
> to me: I finally can focus pretty much full time on something that I
> could only address in my spare time previously.

This is great news for GfW users like me and git in general.
Congratulations, Johannes!

Steve
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On a personal note

Jeff King
In reply to this post by Johannes Schindelin
On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:00:58PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> In short: for users and contributors of Git for Windows, nothing
> changes. Except that Pull Requests and issues may be dealt with more
> swiftly, and that I will actively work on keeping Git for Windows more
> closely in sync with Git proper.

Yay. :)

If anyone had told me in 1999 that Microsoft would be sponsoring
development of an SCM started by Linus, I would have thought they were
crazy.

-Peff
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On a personal note

Junio C Hamano
Jeff King <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:00:58PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
>> In short: for users and contributors of Git for Windows, nothing
>> changes. Except that Pull Requests and issues may be dealt with more
>> swiftly, and that I will actively work on keeping Git for Windows more
>> closely in sync with Git proper.
>
> Yay. :)
>
> If anyone had told me in 1999 that Microsoft would be sponsoring
> development of an SCM started by Linus, I would have thought they were
> crazy.

I probably wouldn't have said "crazy", but I think it is very likely
that I would have uttered "embrace, extend and...".



--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On a personal note

Johannes Schindelin
In reply to this post by Johannes Schindelin
On 2015-09-03 15:06, Levente wrote:
> Is the 'git for windows' development is in a separate branch?

https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/ (see the "repository" link on the upper right of http://git-for-windows.github.io/).

Ciao,
Johannes
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On a personal note

Duy Nguyen
In reply to this post by Johannes Schindelin
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Johannes Schindelin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> yes, it is true: since mid-August I am working for Microsoft. Over a
> year ago, I got into contact with the Visual Studio Online group at
> Microsoft, of which I am now a happy member. A large part of my mission
> is to improve the experience of Git for Windows. This is very exciting
> to me: I finally can focus pretty much full time on something that I
> could only address in my spare time previously.

Is upstreaming msysgit-specific patches in the roadmap? It would be
very nice to have everything in one tree (or at least keep the two
trees as close as possible).
--
Duy
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On a personal note

Johannes Schindelin
Hi Duy,

On 2015-09-17 15:29, Duy Nguyen wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Johannes Schindelin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> yes, it is true: since mid-August I am working for Microsoft. Over a
>> year ago, I got into contact with the Visual Studio Online group at
>> Microsoft, of which I am now a happy member. A large part of my mission
>> is to improve the experience of Git for Windows. This is very exciting
>> to me: I finally can focus pretty much full time on something that I
>> could only address in my spare time previously.
>
> Is upstreaming msysgit-specific patches in the roadmap? It would be
> very nice to have everything in one tree (or at least keep the two
> trees as close as possible).

Please strike that name "msysgit" from your memory. Just remember "Git for Windows". (The name "msysgit" *never* referred to "Git for Windows", but only to the development environment used to generate Git for Windows 1.x). Please. Thank you.

And yes, the roadmap is pretty clear from the GitHub tickets, e.g. this one:

https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/285

Please note that I held off this week for three reasons:

1) I was submitting patches to the MSys2 and Cygwin upstream first,

2) I was busy fixing e.g. that bug where home directories containing non-ASCII characters were handled incorrectly (and generally trying to keep the tickets in https://github.com/git-for-windows/git under something similar to control), and

3) what with Peff's and Stefan's huge patch series, I did not want to overload Junio.

Please note that I already started submitting patches, though:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/277542
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/277731

Ciao,
Dscho
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On a personal note

Stefan Beller-4
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Johannes Schindelin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Duy,
>
> On 2015-09-17 15:29, Duy Nguyen wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Johannes Schindelin
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> yes, it is true: since mid-August I am working for Microsoft. Over a
>>> year ago, I got into contact with the Visual Studio Online group at
>>> Microsoft, of which I am now a happy member. A large part of my mission
>>> is to improve the experience of Git for Windows. This is very exciting
>>> to me: I finally can focus pretty much full time on something that I
>>> could only address in my spare time previously.
>>
>> Is upstreaming msysgit-specific patches in the roadmap? It would be
>> very nice to have everything in one tree (or at least keep the two
>> trees as close as possible).
>
> Please strike that name "msysgit" from your memory. Just remember "Git for Windows". (The name "msysgit" *never* referred to "Git for Windows", but only to the development environment used to generate Git for Windows 1.x). Please. Thank you.
>
> And yes, the roadmap is pretty clear from the GitHub tickets, e.g. this one:
>
> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/285

That's pretty awesome. Glad it's on the roadmap!

>
> Please note that I held off this week for three reasons:
>
> 1) I was submitting patches to the MSys2 and Cygwin upstream first,
>
> 2) I was busy fixing e.g. that bug where home directories containing non-ASCII characters were handled incorrectly (and generally trying to keep the tickets in https://github.com/git-for-windows/git under something similar to control), and
>
> 3) what with Peff's and Stefan's huge patch series, I did not want to overload Junio.

My patch series is not large by any means, but it seems as if it requires
lots of discussion in the fine details. ;)

>
> Please note that I already started submitting patches, though:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/277542
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/277731
>
> Ciao,
> Dscho
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
> the body of a message to [hidden email]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windows patches roadmap, was Re: On a personal note

Johannes Schindelin
Hi Stefan,

[sorry that your mail to the git-for-windows Google Group got rejected; I want to try to keep this list subscribers-only as long as possible so as not to waste precious time on moderating 20+ spam mails per day, as we used to do with msysgit's mailing list.]

On 2015-09-17 21:27, Stefan Beller wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Johannes Schindelin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And yes, the roadmap is pretty clear from the GitHub tickets, e.g. this one:
>>
>> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/285
>
> That's pretty awesome. Glad it's on the roadmap!
>
>>
>> Please note that I held off this week for three reasons:
>>
>> 1) I was submitting patches to the MSys2 and Cygwin upstream first,
>>
>> 2) I was busy fixing e.g. that bug where home directories containing non-ASCII characters were handled incorrectly (and generally trying to keep the tickets in https://github.com/git-for-windows/git under something similar to control), and
>>
>> 3) what with Peff's and Stefan's huge patch series, I did not want to overload Junio.
>
> My patch series is not large by any means, but it seems as if it requires
> lots of discussion in the fine details. ;)

Yes, I actually meant the impact on the bandwidth of the Git mailing list, not the size of the patch series per se, sorry. I think that it is highly valuable what you are doing there, and I wish I had more time to participate in improving it... (but just when I think I have time, another bug report comes in, or some day-job stuff, or Junio releases a new version and I scramble to get a new Git for Windows version out... ;-))

Ciao,
Dscho
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to [hidden email]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html